Ciotti teaches Digital Humanities and Computational Criticism and Theory of Literature at the University of Roma Tor Vergata. His scientific and research work covers various aspects and themes of Digital Humanities and Literary Studies, both from the theoretical and the practical point of view: the applications of computational methods to the analysis of narrative texts; digital text encoding and editing; applications of XML and TEI technologies to literary texts and corpora; modeling and creation of digital libraries; application of Semantic Web/Linked data principles and technologies to humanities digital libraries and textual corpora. On these subjects he has written several monographs and scientific articles in peer reviewed international journals. Fabio Ciotti has been involved in several digital humanities projects at national and international level, in cooperation with various institutions. He has been organizer or member of the program committees of various national and international conferences (TEI Conference and Members Meeting 2013 and 2014; AIUCD conferences, IRCDL; DH) and Chair of the Program Committee of the DH2019 Conference (Utrecht, NL, 9-12 Jul 2019). He is Editor in Chief of the journal Umanistica Digitale. He is Chair of the EADH (European Association of Digital Humanities) Executive Board, founder member and Past President of AIUCD (Associazione per l’Informatica Umanistica e la Cultura Digitale), VCC4 head and member of the Joint Research Committee of the European ERIC DARIAH-EU.
- Ciotti F., A Formal Ontology for the Text Encoding Initiative, UMANISTICA DIGITALE, 2018, No 3 (2018). https://doi.org/10.6092/issn.2532-8816/8174
- Ciotti F., Digital humanities in Italy: The tradition of innovation, AIB STUDI 58 (2018): 177–79. https://doi.org/10.2426/aibstudi-11828
- Ciotti F., From Informatica Umanistica to Digital Humanities and return: a conceptual history of Italian DH, TESTO & SENSO 19, 2018
- Ciotti F., Modelli e metodi computazionali per la critica letteraria: lo stato dell’arte, In L’Italianistica oggi: ricerca e didattica, Atti del XIX Congresso dell’ADI – Associazione degli Italianisti (Roma, 9-12 settembre 2015, a cura di B. Alfonzetti T. Cancro, V. Di Iasio, E. Pietrobon. Roma – ITA: Adi editore, 2017. http://www.italianisti.it/upload/userfiles/files/Ciotti.pdf
- Ciotti F., Tempi Verbali e Strutture Narrative: l’Analisi Computazionale dei Morfemi Temporali nei Testi Narrativi Italiani tra Realismo e Modernismo, In Digital Humanities 2017. Conference Abstracts, a cura di Michael Sinatra Rhian Lewis Cecily Raynor, Dominic Forest e Stéfan Sinclair, 193–95, 2017
- Ciotti F., Toward a new realism for digital textuality, In Advances in Digital Scholarly Editing Papers presented at the DiXiT conferences in The Hague, Cologne, and Antwerp, a cura di Peter Boot Anna Cappellotto, Wout Dillen, Franz Fischer, Aodhán Kelly, Andreas Mertgens, Anna-Maria Sichani, Elena Spadini & Dirk van Hulle. Leiden – NLD: Sidestone Press, 2017
- Ciotti F., What’s in a Topic Model? Critica teorica di un metodo computazionale per l’analisi del testo, TESTO & SENSO, 2017